FAMU awards more than $277,000 in scholarships to South Florida students

Telisha Marshall’s parents said their daughter always had dreams of helping others.

“When she was little, she wanted to be a pediatrician,” her mom said with a smile.

On March 3, she moved closer to her dreams when she received a FAMU Distinguished Scholar Award for $56,044 during the 2012 Miami Scholarship and Recruitment Reception in Miami Gardens, Fla.

“I was actually surprised when he called my name,” the 18-year old said. “I was like, ‘Me?’

The reception welcomed more than 100 guests to Miami Carol City Senior High School, where 15 scholarships were distributed. Recruiters from the university’s colleges and schools presented details on their exciting programs, and FAMU Vice President for Student Affairs William Hudson Jr. shared his personal story with the audience.


“Attending FAMU was the best decision I made in my life,” said Hudson, a FAMU graduate. “To be the best, you have to want to be the best. You have to make sacrifices. What FAMU taught me is if you persevere, you will succeed. I was never the smartest person in my class, I just worked hard. FAMU has many people who have many stories.”

Shadae Tomlinson is looking forward to filling the pages in her book. She received a George W. Gore Scholarship for $8,000 during the reception.

“When my name was called, it kind of caught me off guard,” said Tomlinson, who plans to major in nursing. “I am honored and really appreciate this scholarship.”

Hudson, who also awarded scholarships in Broward County that same day, told the students that FAMU is a place where each of them will have the opportunity to discover what they can become.